Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Independance

Someone said something to me today which has me bothered and I am not sure why. This person offered to help me with whatever I need but said, "I know you are really independant. . ." I admit I am an independant soul. I don't have a problem being independant because it is who I am. I guess I am bothered because whenever I have heard anyone reference independance, it is usually done in a negative way. For example, "You're too independant which is why guys don't ask you out." Sure, I could act helpless, but then I wouldn't be true to myself.

Is there anything really wrong with knowing you can do things? I often do things for myself because when I ask others, they typically roll their eyes, sigh a deep sigh of "oh boy!", or ignore me. If a person generally gets reactions such as these, doesn't this naturally create an independant person? I mean, if people really do want you to ask for help and admit you need them, shouldn't they be willing on the other end? Maybe I am just too synical to look at this objectively. Oh well!

No comments: