Sunday, March 30, 2008

An Awakening

I experienced a very interesting phenomenon this weekend. It is called the "interesting expectations of the sexes in the McCarrey family." I read about this on my Aunt's blog but had yet to experience it until now. It is interesting how subtly this creeps up, but creeps it does. I will give you an example. My brother and I got up at about the same time on Thursday morning and both got home at the same time. We are all with me, right? Somehow my grandparents are very sympathetic to his level of tired but don't seem to care about mine. A simple example, I know, but a real experience.

Here's another. I asked grandma if I could use the iron. She showed me where it was and let me go to it. After I have ironed the wrinkly clothes, I turn off the iron and put my close away. I can back to the living room at which point my brother announces he should iron as well. My grandma then proceeds to offer to iron his shirt, pants, and anything else he needs. Then she calls out to my other brother and asks if he needs anything ironed. While I expected to iron my own clothes I was surprised at the obvious manner in which I was not offered help.

I must admit, I was a little annoyed, but oh well. I guess the point is I was completely shocked by this. Why as a girl am I expected to iron my own clothes, help with the food, do dishes, but the boys are allowed to be pampered. Honestly, I don't want to sound like I don't love my grandparents or like a feminist, I just can't believe I never saw this before. It is like my Aunt expressed in her blog, there is a standard for the men of the family and a different one for the boys. (My Momita who has also experienced this phenomenon, said the same thing to me today.) I find it difficult however to do the right things in their presence because expectations are not stated and differ by gender.

No comments: