Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Ocean

I just watched this very cheesy surf movie, "Blue Crush." I am not going to sit here and tell everyone it is the best movie in the world because it isn't, but it made me realize how much I love the ocean. For the past three years I have been completely surrounded by land. This is the first time in my life I have been land locked. Honestly, I feel trapped here. I can't wait to move back to the coast!

What I really love about the ocean is its power and majesty. I find it amazing something can be so calm yet terrifying at the same time. When I lived in Hawaii I loved crossing the street to just sit and listen to the waves. I would try to go every Sunday to read my scriptures and I will cherish those experiences. When I lived in Oregon, I would drive an hour just to feel the peace of water breaking.

For those who know me, they know I am not much of a nature girl. I don't get the urge to go hiking or to play in the leaves. The urges I get to be outside always draw me to water. I can't explain it. Maybe it is because the waves remind me so much of my own life. There are the moments when life is calm and the most beautiful shade of turquoise. Then there are the times when my life is a sea of gray towering waves. No matter what, it is constant and life giving.

No comments: