Friday, June 20, 2008

Career

I have been thinking about a lot of things lately and my mind seems completely bogged down. I am definitely having a hard time concentrating and being motivated to get things done. That is not to say I don't push through and get things done, but it seems more difficult at the moment for whatever reason.

I just finished my first class of the summer. It was a pretty enjoyable experience surprisingly and it has gotten me to thinking. I listen in class and I agree with the things which are being taught and I realize how much I do believe in education and think teachers are pretty amazing. But then I wonder how I got so disillusioned with teaching. I feel like I have become the teacher I never wanted to be. This past year, it just wasn't fun. My students are great kids, but each one had their own set of demanding issues, I don't feel like I reached them. I keep wondering if I taught anything or if I spent my time putting out fires. I realize this means I need to make some changes, but I can't help but wonder if that means a career change for me. I believe a person should be happy at their job and truly enjoy it or what is the point? I am just not sure I have the passion I once did. How do I get that back? Do I just chalk it up to life experience and move on? I know no one has the answer for me and I don't expect anyone to fix the problem. I am lost at the moment and this scares me because I feel like I have always known what I wanted and where I was going, and now I have no clue.

PS I know some of you are going to worry about me when you read this, but please don't. I really don't want any worried phone calls, especially from you Mom.

No comments: