Saturday, July 12, 2008

Thoughts on Feminism

This week I took a class on Educational Philosophy, and I have to say it was pretty interesting. As part of my class requirements I had to give an hour and a half presentation on 3 different philosophers. One of these was a woman by the name of Mary Wollstonecraft (her daughter is the author of Frankenstein). Learning about her brought up a subject I try to avoid, Feminism. I was actually very surprised as I read her thoughts. I have always thought of Feminists as man haters, but I found her views closely echo my own.

Mary Wollstonecraft points out she doesn't want women to emulate masculine virtues but wants women to be educated and be given more opportunities. I completely agree, women should be educated and be allowed to more than a mere fixture in society. I also agree that men and women have different roles to fulfill in the world. I don't think a woman should be the bread winner or the head of a household. I think women should embrace the role they have been given instead of trying to take on the role men have been appointed.

I recognize by writing this I may offend many of fellow sisters, but I am not sorry for feeling this way. I feel society has made the push to respect women and in turn have forgotten to respect men. What is so wrong with being a woman who is educated, intelligent, and wants to be just that, a woman?

No comments: