Friday, March 21, 2008

Adventures in Teaching

I thought I would take a moment and share some of the adventures I have had in teaching this week.

My students were asking me once again if I was married. I let them know once again, I am still single. This lead to much murmuring among my students. After offering the only male staff at school as an option (all three are married and much older than me) one brave soul raised his hand. After calling on him, he offered me his 25 year old brother's phone number. Finally I was able to get the class back on track. At afternoon break this student came up to me with his brother's number and reminded me he was in the navy. Then he said to me, "My mom says everyone loves a man in uniform," and went to use the restroom. This totally cracked me up. Although I appreciate the offer, I will not be calling the brother.

On Wednesday this same student came into math class and said, "Miss McCarrey we have a problem, Kierstin is hatin' on you." He then proceeded to tell me all of the things she had supposedly said. Another student overheard, and said "That's what you were saying." Interesting. I let it go, because really who cares! After lunch this same day one of my homeroom students came in very troubled. He told me there was a student talking "smack" about me on the soccer field. He really couldn't understand why, because I am "the nicest teacher in the whole school." (Side note, this very same student was staying home from school because his teacher picks on him.)

As far as the "hatin'" goes, I have a few different reactions. One, I wonder who it is and what I could have done to upset them so much. Two, I must admit I felt a little bit sad. Three, who cares? My self esteem is not based on what a bunch of 12 year olds think of me. Fourth, I am pretty sure the student who is talking smack has a crush on me. Here are my reasons: he brought me a Coke for no reason, he visited me during parent conferences, came to school sick on Valentine's Day just to see me (yes, he told me that), he cut his hair when I cut my hair (yes, he told me he cut his hair just for me), and he bought me some pirate cupcakes. Maybe he is now upset because I made it very clear to my class sixth graders were way too young for me. (They were hoping I would hook up with a student I had a while ago who also had a crush on me.)

One final thought, why are young boys and old men attracted to me? Why can't I captivate the attention of a man my own age?

No comments: