Monday, January 17, 2011

Emergency Room

I had the fun experience of going to the Emergency Room yesterday. On Saturday afternoon my feet started itching pretty terribly followed shortly by the palms of my hands. I took some benadryl and put on some anti-itch cream on my hands and feet. Nothing helped. As soon as I woke up I looked up some home remedies to try. I ended up taking a bath with a can of evaporated milk which did help a litte, but the relief did not last long. I went to the store for more medicine and tools the Internet suggested. Needless to say nothing helped. The itching came and went.

I decided I needed to go to bed but the itching was far too intense and I made the decision that I needed some medical attention. I am pretty sure I was having an allergic reaction to the new medicine I have been taking for my RA. Fortunately there was no waiting at the ER and I was able to get in right away. The doctor told me to stop taking the new medicine and also prescribed me a steroid to take for the next four days. I was given some in the ER as well. The itching hasn't completely stopped but it is so much better. I think as soon as the medicine I have been taking gets out of my system and the steroids do their thing, I will be much better.

Pretty crazy, my first trip to the ER. I am glad it was for nothing more serious.

2 comments:

Duck said...

I can surely relate to having an allergic reaction to medication. It is pretty awful isn't it?

I had gone to Iowa, to an International Job fair, and had an allergic reaction to Sulfa. I broke out in hives from head to foot and was SO uncomfortable and away from home. I, too, ended up in the emergency room- I was having trouble breathing and I was pretty upset with what was going on with my body. Thank goodness for those steroids and the help they provide getting the histamines out of our systems. I am glad you are doing better!

And, I am so glad you stopped by to see me. SUCH a pleasure for me!!

See you soon, sweetie. And, those hamburgers will be delicious! (I hope!)

Unknown said...

It is an experience I never want to have again. Everytime I feel the slightest itch I start to panic thinking the terror is starting again.