Wednesday, February 2, 2011

No Poo

When I got my hair cut last week, I asked the stylist about shampooing my hair, you know how often and that short of thing. She recommended a routine called No Poo. What you do is rotate between using only conditioner and only shampoo. If you wash your hair every other day, the first time you would use just conditioner, treating it like shampoo, and the next time you wash your hair, you would use only shampoo. Following this routine will create healthier curls and replenish moisture. I am not sure if this technique works for people with straight hair but she said it is really great for curly hair.

Another suggestion she made is to pin up part of your hair while it is drying because with curly hair it drys flat at the top because the curls are weighted down. She said to take a few sections and kind of bunch them up (it is hard to explain in writing, but she showed me what she meant) and clip them there while the rest is drying. This is supposed to create more fullness along with perfectly formed curls.

I have decided to be brave and try her suggestions. I have to admit, I am a little afraid of the only conditioner because it seems like it would make your hair look greasy and kind of gross. I chose to do it though because if it does look horrid, I can always wash my hair again. So, tonight I washed my hair with only conditioner and part of it is pinned up right now. From what I can tell, my hair seems awfully curly tonight and it doesn't look greasy. Amanda tried it the other day and she said her hair was less frizzy, so we will see what happens. I am excited though because curly hair can be pretty frizzy and dry with some odd curlings in there. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a good hair day!

No comments: