Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day

I must admit I traditionally don't care for Valentine's Day. Probably because I have never had a date or the possibility of one. In the past I have stuck to calling it "Single Awareness Day", but this year my thinking is different. As per usual, I was sitting on bed thinking, when I realized I am grateful we have a day to celebrate love. True this day is typically reserved for romantic love, but I would like to dedicate my celebration to all of the ways I feel love in my own life. I think the best way to express this is to create a list.

I feel love for my students. I love that their minds are still open to the joy of learning. Life and experience has not jaded them yet. Plus I love that they wave to me in the hall and rush to give me hugs. (Sometimes I feel like a celebrity with all of the waves and shouts I get.)

I love that I am getting to serve in the Relief Society and actually gain a testimony of the program. I have a genuine love and concern for all of the sisters in my ward, which is something I have never experienced before.

I love that I have a roommate who puts up with me and still wants to hang out with me. I love her generosity and compassion. I love the strength of her testimony and that fact that she is always striving to be better. I also love that she cooks me delicious meals on Sunday and that she brings home Taco Bell almost every Friday.

I love my family. I love that we are together forever. I love that I learn from them, cry with them, laugh with them, and sit in silence with them. I love that I don't have to pretend or hide who I truly am. I love that my family prays for me and uplifts me. I love that they tell me they love me and encourage me constantly. I love that they see the best in me, in fact they see things that I don't.

Of course I feel love for my Savior and Heavenly Parents. What would the point of this life be if it weren't for the love they freely give me?

When I sit and think about how my life is so full of love I realize that it isn't "Single Awareness Day" but it is "I realize that I am not alone day". I am grateful that love is more than romance that is laughter, understanding, faith, family, friendship, hope, joy, peace, and so much more.

2 comments:

Duck said...

This is a beautiful post. Very insightful. Your words have given me much to ponder. We really are lucky, aren't we, to have the blessing of all kinds of love in our lives.

I love you, sweetie pie!

Happy "love" day. :)

Momita's Page said...

You are such a dear and beautiful person! Thank you for this lovely post about what really matters! xoxo