Sunday, February 20, 2011

Team of Rivals

I recently started a new book called Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. I have heard good things about this book and have been interested in learning more about Abraham Lincoln. To be honest I picked up this book out of selfish reasons, I am hoping to learn from Abraham Lincoln how to create a better working environment. Obviously he was able to create an amazing "team" of people who had every reason not to work together. Hopefully I will get some insights that will help me in my relations at work.

Anyways, I am only on chapter 2 but I am already surprised by how little I know about this man. When I picture Abraham Lincoln I see a stern face, the stove top hat, lanky limbs, and I guess you could say concern in his eyes. I had no idea he liked to tell stories and that people enjoyed listening to these stories. He would laugh and tell jokes and lounge on peoples' sofas (I guess I shouldn't say people, friends). For the first time I am seeing him as a "man" not the stone like god I have created in my head.

I have to say I am a little apprehensive to continue reading because I don't want my ideal to be shattered. I do love seeing Abraham Lincoln as a normal person, but I do worry that the author will somehow portray him in a negative light. I don't want my hero to be torn down. But, I have committed myself to the book and must press forward. Who knows, maybe he will be built on an even higher pedestal after I have finished.

No comments: