Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Auschwitz

On Sunday James and I started this documentary about the German concentration camps, specifically Auschwitz; I finished it today.  I think in many ways I have been "sheltered" from what really happened there.  Obviously I have learned the basics in school but I was appalled by what I learned.  I have been trying to wrap my mind around the thought that a group of people could be so cruel to another group for no reason other than they were different.

There were SS guards from Auschwitz interviewed and they talked so matter of factly about how they participated, as if it made the most sense in the entire world.  I understand they had a charismatic leader who they believed but at some point wouldn't you question the torture and killing of at least children?  I am trying to understand the need for self preservation as well, but my mind can't accept letting others die because of my fear.  (I am so glad I will not have to judge those men and women.)

It makes no sense to me at all.  I was thinking while watching how Heavenly Father must have looked upon our world and wept while at the same moment Satan did a dance of joy.  I think how Heavenly Father must continue to weep because of the cruelty of man.  I am glad the Holocaust is over but I realize the same things are happening in the world today.  I can't help but think of my student from the Sudan who witnessed things no child should ever see. 

I have never seen myself as an activist, but I have to wonder what more can we do?  What can I do?

1 comment:

Duck said...

I have been to the concentration camp just outside Munich, at Dachau. It has been decades since I saw it, but I remember everything I saw as though I had seen it five minutes ago. It was AWFUL, seeing the pictures of the people who died there.

And, walking through the camp itself, seeing the "death" showers and where the "medical experiments" were completed on people was as equally horrible.

The whole place had such a feeling about it. You can feel the evil that happened there.

And, the sign into the camp, "Arbeit macht frei" ("Work will make you free") hangs heavy with sarcasm in my heart- they were told if they worked hard, they would be freed. The only freedom they achieved was death. The whole experience was both sobering and life changing.

I agree with you about your student from Sudan. NO child should EVER have to be a witness OR victim of such horrible and depraved acts of violence.

As for becoming an activist- we become active in the things that matter most to us. If protecting children and others from horrible atrocities is important to us, we find the ways in which WE can make a difference, be it here in our daily routines, or across the globe.

Thank you for your post.